Inscription of a plaque in the village centre.
'The Royal Village of Old
The shield bears the arms of Edmund, first Earl of Lancaster .
These are the arms of the Duchy of Lancaster, who presented the shield to this village on August 4th. 1966 in commemoration of the birth in Bolingbroke Castle in 1366 of Henry Bolingbroke, Duke of Lancaster, King of England.
The Roses are the original rose of Lancaster, grown in Provins and adopted by Edmund as his emblem in 1280. They are a gift to the village from the Mayor and People of Provins, March 1967.'
The Castle was built in about 1220 by Randulph de Blundevill, Earl of Lincoln. However, by 1815, the last remaining part - the gatehouse - had collapsed.