Louth in the Lincolnshire Wolds
The so called "capitol of the wolds" has been market town since the 8th. century.
Overlooking the town is the church of St. James; its Gothic spire stands 295 feet high.
Louth is an historic market town with weekly markets, the town became a major trading area in the 1770s with the building of a canal.
The canal was built in the 18th century. The canal became a major link to the Coast. It was over eleven miles in length, extending from Louth Riverhead to Tetney. Eight locks were built to overcome the forty six feet differential in levels involved. Trade through the canal was brisk and there were regular sailings to London and Hull and other local ports.
In 1920 the river and canal flooded, destroying large areas of Louth and killing 23 people. The canal finally closed in 1924, after a period of decline following the opening of the railway.
Although the waterway itself is no longer navigable, the towpaths have been restored and make a pleasant walk out of town.
The town is on the Greenwich meridian and a small plaque in Eastgate marks the line.