Partney in Lincolnshire
Partney was famous for it's sheep fairs. The Partney Sheep Fair were held each August until 2001.
An Abbey founded in the 7th century was thought to have been destroyed
by the Danes. In 1115 a hospital was built on the Abbey site for the sick,
aged and travelers, but was dissolved about 1180.
Partney nearly became a lost village at the time of the Black Death, it is understood that Partney House was the only one to escape the plague. Victims were buried in the Fair Field which has never been developed.
Captain Matthew Flinders (1774-1814), explorer and cousin of Sir John Franklin, was married in the church dedicated to St Nicholas. On a surveying expedition to Australia Matthew Flinders was joined by his cousin John and between them they gave more than twenty locations Lincolnshire place names.
There is a rock in the grounds of St. Nicholas Church Partney, given to commemorate their efforts by the Antipodeans. Also a memorial tablet near the Chancel, erected by the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (South Australian Branch). There is bronze weather vane on the church in the shape of a sailing ship. The Bronze weather vane dates from 1953 which replaced a 19th century iron weather vane.
Captain Flinders died on July 19th 1814, aged 40, the
day his book A Voyage to Terra Australia was first published.
Whilst a prisoner of war on Mauritius he wrote a book dedicated to his cat Trim who accompanied him on four ships. It was only published as recently as 1977.
The modern Victory Hall, next to the church, is well used by various groups and there is also a public house, The Red Lion, which is popular with visitors and locals. The Church of England School caters for children up to the age of eleven, as well as running a parent and toddler group.